Performance

From: Sandro Magi <naasking_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Dec 25 2000 - 06:24:40 PST

I was testing out VSTa and comparing it to my Linux installation and ran a
brief subjective test. I tried untarring and gunzipping the vsta_src.tz file
and noticed a huge speed difference. VSTa performed at least 3-4 times
slower than Linux.

I'll admit that I'm no OS expert, but I'm trying to learn so I was wondering
what the main reason for the difference would be. Is it because of the extra
overhead involved in message passing? Is it because of un-optimized disk
drivers? Is it because of a less efficient or more fair scheduler? Is it
just because of the extra overhead involved in piping by message passing
through the 'pipe' server?

Also, untarring and gunzipping the vsta_src.tz file never finishes. It
always prematurely exits with a 'broken pipe' error. Is this because I'm
running out of memory? Even small archives sometimes exit like this as well.
Even compiling programs exit with broken pipes. Is this just a problem with
my installation?

Thanks for any help or insight. :-)

Sincerely,
Sandro