Re: Performance

From: James Northrup <james_northrup_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 10:36:25 PST

<late to the punch here>

a couple of years ago I had tried my own subjective speed test
against a linux 2.0.x system on a Cyrix 233w/128 megs, VSTA on
vstafs, and the hurd.

A couple of years before that I performed the same subjective speed
test on vsta vs. a linux 1.2 system, using a dx2-66 w/16 megs.

My benchmark in both occasions was tarring+gzipping and building
various gnu utils packages as the libc would permit.

Subjectively, the vsta+vstafs vs the linux 1.2 was astonishing on
the side of vsta. I had guessed a margin of around 33% faster
either by the vsta simplified include paths and/or the shared page
behavior that was not quite dialed into Linux at the time.

gzip throughput seemed noticably faster on vsta; however disc
commit operations under vsta were noticably less optimized.

the 2.0 test vs its contemporary vsta was certainly a closer match
but I just happened to love the immediate "feel" of the vsta shell
and its response characteristics.

I recall nothing noteworthy regarding the hurd in my second round
of experimenting.