Re: VSTa 1.6.5

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 06:48:04 PST

[Martin_Doering@mn.man.de writes:]

>VSTa works - partitially for me. Again I have the following problem:
>If I go out (with "cd ..") of the /vsta directory, immediately I stop in
>the kernel debugger - in all cases. Is there any thing I can do, to get rid
>of this problem? For example make a vfs filesystem? I really would like to
>use a stable vsta.

What kind of message do you get (if any)? What's the running process? What
values does "tf" report? That'd give me some idea of why it's croaking.

Barring any bug, the DOS filesystem should handle your filesystem OK.
Obviously, you've found a bug. Is your filesystem near 4 gigabytes in size?
I just fixed a lingering bug in > 4G support (Microsoft filesystems tend to
have less than 4G size, but that size doesn't include FAT tables and such,
so you still need to support > 4G in your disk I/O... the next version of
VSTa will support ~1 terabyte disks, taking care of the problem for the
time being).

>MGR is not running. The VESA support is not compiled in, and the
>"chipset=VGA" just gives a black screen. One interesting thing: If I choose
>a chipset, which does not correspondent with my card, I get a "perm"
>message on the console. I have a S3 Virge 3/dx card. It is scanned as S3,
>but the chipset works differently - I know this problem from different
>older XFree86 configuration attempts. This card is a bit problematic... So,
>If my card is not supported by svgalib, I have no chance to get some
>graphics running under VSTa today, right?

You could always link in the old VGA support (the libbitblit.a from
vsta/mgr/src/libbitblit/linux instead of .../colorport. But there should
also be a way to use the basic VGA modes from svgalib (unless svgalib had a
bug, or I created one while porting it).

>How can I see, if my mouse works correctly? In Unix, there are devices, but
>in VSTa?

In vsta/src/srv/mach/mouse there's a program "test.c". In that dir there's
even a rule in the makefile to make "test". Then run it ./test and it'll
track mouse events and show them to you. Assuming your mouse server got
started OK. Note that for RS-232 mice, you have to have the RS-232 server
running also ("/vsta/boot/rs232 com1 &", something like that).

>Is there a possiblility (argument) to make the ls -l command show just one
>line per file?

Or just use "vls", which is Dave Hudson's port of GNU ls... it's rather
nice, and much more like a "typical" ls.

>Is there a possibility to use keymaps on the console? And at all - my arrow
>keys do not work in vi. Is there something I have to configure?

By default the console generates escape sequences... perhaps the termcap
entry active in vim doesn't know about them? I never use such keys (I'm a
touch typist, and you'd have to move your fingers off the home row) so
haven't paid much attention!

>Sorry, for so many questions. The thing is, that I read all the
>architecture stuff and the other documentatiuon, but do not get it running
>successfully. But - yes - I would like to... :-(

Well, in theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in
practice there is. So yes, it's quite reasonable to want to get it running.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andy Valencia