VSTa update

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 09:02:30 PST

Hello,

Just a little update on stuff I'm doing on VSTa. FAT32 is looking good;
I'm on hold for GNU GRUB to release a version with some critical fixes for
*their* FAT32 support, after which I can test a fully native system and
check in my work.

I'm still thinking about a port of Squeak to VSTa. In preparation for that,
I've done an implementation of select(), and have that working as of
yesterday evening. It looks like a server which supports select() will need
to add around 50 lines of code, plus I had to implement a "selfs" server to
manage all the common state. The good news is that the underlying message
model required no changes, so select() required no kernel modifications, and
will work over distributed messaging just fine. Viva microkernels!

I'm still looking for a good graphics library to control video hardware.
When I port Squeak, it's easy enough to support one of the base SVGA modes
(I'll just copy the code from my MGR port). But it'd be nice to support the
extended resolution (and hardware blit support) of modern video cards. I
was told a while ago that libsvga was dead, but I seem to see a lot of
activity with respect to it on the Linux lists. It's the closes thing,
philosophically, to what I'd like to use. Can anybody with a deeper
understanding give me some guidance?

Thanks,
Andy Valencia