Re: Potential installation problem

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 09:27:30 PST

[Erik Dalen <erik@jpl.nu> writes:]

>> I've begun hacking on the DOS filesystem to support FAT-32. The way it
>> supported FAT-12/16 was really a hack, so I'm trying to really clean up the
>> support for different FAT formats.
>actually wouldn't it be better to fix up the ext2fs driver to really work
>as ext2fs is probably better than FAT-32?

It depends. If my goal was to work on a better filesystem, then yes, ext2fs
is in almost all ways a better filesystem. But if my goal is to support the
most widely adopted filesystem, then the FAT filesystem wins hands down.

Many systems with ext2fs as their primary filesystem also have a FAT
partition. But virtually no systems with a primary FAT filesystem have
ext2fs. So keeping my FAT support current seems like a prudent investment
in "keeping the doors open".

>I found the problem. It wasn't FAT-32 but as I said there was 2 vsta
>folders, and they where both of type f?!? so I removed one of them and
>then the other one changed to type d and then it all worked. The mkdir I
>used was from DOS 6.22

Huh. Wonder how you managed that? Glad you got it straightened out.

Andy