VSTa update

From: Vince Hodges <vhodges_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 07:10:29 PST

>>>>> "Andy Valencia" == Andy Valencia <vandys@cisco.com> writes:

    Andy Valencia> I'm still looking for a good graphics library to
    Andy Valencia> control video hardware. When I port Squeak, it's
    Andy Valencia> easy enough to support one of the base SVGA modes
    Andy Valencia> (I'll just copy the code from my MGR port). But
    Andy Valencia> it'd be nice to support the extended resolution
    Andy Valencia> (and hardware blit support) of modern video cards.
    Andy Valencia> I was told a while ago that libsvga was dead, but I
    Andy Valencia> seem to see a lot of activity with respect to it on
    Andy Valencia> the Linux lists. It's the closes thing,
    Andy Valencia> philosophically, to what I'd like to use. Can
    Andy Valencia> anybody with a deeper understanding give me some
    Andy Valencia> guidance?

Hi Andy,

According to the svgalib home page, http://www.svgalib.org/ it's
not dead yet and probably not for some time.

http://microwindows.censoft.com/ is a low level graphics lib and
windowing toolkit that is small and has been ported to a number of
platforms. svgalib can be used as a graphics driver.

Alternative windowing systems (just FYI).

                        http://yax.netpedia.net/
                        http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/wisio/
                        http://dinx.sourceforge.net/

And then there's always the Linux kernel frame buffer code to look at.

Hope that helps in some small way.

--
Vince Hodges                             "Beware geeks bearing diffs"
vhodges@home.com