GUI

From: Paul Hepworth <paul1+vsta_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 09:43:37 PST

Forgive me if I'm asking a FAQ. Is the MGR window system build on top of
svgalib or do we have two independent GUI libs?

I'm thinking it would be interesting to have a GUI server (two actually)
that handle general screen drawing and high-level widgets. There would be a
display server that handles the low-level (drawing lines, rectangles, and
bitmap fonts) and a high-level widget server for buttons, lists, text
fields, menus, etc.
MGR's actual screen drawing could be reimplemented in terms of the display
server. New applications would use the widget server, instead (not caring
that the widget server uses the display server).
The default implementation of the display server would use svgalib, though
other versions would be possible (e.g., MGA or even SDL, directFB, and/or
Microwindows versions eventually).

Opinions?