Re: GUI

From: Andy Valencia From: <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 10:27:43 PST

"Paul Hepworth" <paul1+vsta@vpinc.biz> writes:

>Forgive me if I'm asking a FAQ. Is the MGR window system build on top of
>svgalib or do we have two independent GUI libs?

The original port had its own VGA drivers, but I bolted svgalib onto it in
their place in the latest source.

>I'm thinking it would be interesting to have a GUI server (two actually)
>that handle general screen drawing and high-level widgets.

This would be cool (and very Plan9-ish) but MGR asks so little of the VGA
interface that it's the path of least resistance to link in svgalib. Most
graphic apps (as distinct from windowing apps) seem to be most efficiently
written to get a pointer to the frame buffer and information on the
geometry, and then go at it with memory accesses.

Andy