Re: ls with user-specified attribute columns

From: Paul Hepworth <paul1+vsta_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 17:56:35 PST

> >It would be handy to have an enhanced ls with options for showing
arbitrary
> >attributes:
> >This should be very straightforward to implement.
> >Any interest?
>
> It'd be interesting, although to date seeing arbitrary attributes across
> many files hasn't been much of an issue (the common ones, like file size,
> are already implicitly handled by "ls" :->). I'd think this would be
> a nice addition to the "stat" command, rather than "ls". It doesn't
exist,
> but I'd be happy to fold it in if somebody wanted to submit a patch.

I'm unclear on the current stat behavior with multiple files and attributes.
usage message indicates ... <path_name> <field_names...>
With multiple valid field names, no surprises;
With invalid field names: filename: for each (slightly surprising)
For example:
$ stat root size a b c
4096
root:
root:
root:

Multiple file names: interpretted as field names after the first.

Do you mean that you'd like to see stat support multiple file names and
field names (as I suggested for ls)?
If so, what would be your preferred syntax for distinguishing file and field
names?
(e.g., stat --files file1 file2 --fields field1 field2)

Paul