Re: ls with user-specified attribute columns

From: Andy Valencia From: <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 09:51:02 PST

"Paul Hepworth" <paul1+vsta@vpinc.biz> writes:

>Multiple file names: interpretted as field names after the first.
>Do you mean that you'd like to see stat support multiple file names and
>field names (as I suggested for ls)?

Sure! stat's not a standard command, so we can make it do what makes
sense, not what made the standard.

>If so, what would be your preferred syntax for distinguishing file and field
>names?
>(e.g., stat --files file1 file2 --fields field1 field2)

Since I've never needed to use stat this way, I'm not sure what we should
optimize for. Actually, we should optimize so the current usage (which are,
in my experience, the most common ones to date) are still accomodated. That
said, it looks like you're optimizing for display of multiple fields across
multiple files. I bet formatting will become an issue, have you considered
a more printf-like command?

Andy