Re: Direction of VSTa

From: Mike A Larson <larz_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Aug 07 1995 - 09:13:26 PDT

Hi,

[Gerd Truschinski <gt@freebsd.first.gmd.de> writes:]

>Ok, I have a MIPS system I want to port VSTa to. Someone has started
>it, that seems to be not the problem. But there is NO documentation
>that could help me. Am I right?

I think that someone is Christopher Fraser. He wrote a nice document
called "On Porting VSTa to the R3000".

>For now I have a FreeBSD system I edit my sources on. This is because
>I need a machine I could see both, the VSTa and the FreeBSD sources on.
>Then I boot VSTa on that machine (486 with an Adaptec SCSI board).
>Compile my sources to a new server; CAM is his name. And after that I
>boot DOS to copy the server to a boot disk for my 386SX VSTA machine.
>Then I do some testing.
>You see, a lot of OS is needed to do my work.

Why not copy the FreeBSD sources that you need to the VSTa partition on
your 486. Then do the editing and compiling on VSTa running on the 486.
This would save one step, at least.

Or, if you have a CDROM drive on the 486 and if you have the FreeBSD
sources on CDROM, you could mount the CDROM from VSTa and have
access to both that way.

                                        Mike Larson