Re: keyboard layouts

From: Dave Hudson <dave_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Apr 10 1995 - 00:39:15 PDT

Hi,

Calvin Clark wrote:

> I've been typing with a dvorak layout for a few years now and qwerty
> gives me headaches, so I hacked the isr.c files to read dvorak. The
> keyboard table is duplicated in many places. For right now I just
> hard-coded the change, but it would be better to have they layout be
> dynamic so that it can be changed to any arbitrary table with an
> external program like Linux's "keymap" command. I don't see any
> pressing reason to have a separate table for the virtual consoles, the
> kernel debugger and the rs232 code, so it could be just a single
> internal table. On the other hand, it might be nice to be able to
> have different layouts on different virtual consoles (something Linux
> doesn't support) though it might mean a bit more code. Any opinions
> on the matter?

I currently have patches to support US, UK, French and German keyboards
running with David Jeske's cons3 server. One of the things I'm planning on
doing though is to rework the keyboard server and allow cons to understand
how to do VT switching. Having the keyboard separate is neater for when I'm
working on using bitblt for display. As far as the kernel debugger map's
concerned I find it's easier just to live with that being hardwired (and
just ifdef'd).

As far as different maps on different VTs goes, I'm not sure it buys us
much, but it's not too difficult to do (*much* easier than it would be to do
under Linux though).

                                Regards,
                                Dave