Re: VSTa and chroot

From: Dave Hudson <dave_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Mar 14 1995 - 01:31:18 PST

Hi,

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> VSTa, of course, doesn't have the notion of chroot or any way of
> implementing it: if mount tables are just libc constructs and
> anyone can talk to a filesystem port then there's no point. Is
> there, however, some way of doing something similar?

Well to get the same effect we simply change our mount point to be partway
through a fs hierarchy. An example would be that I can make server fs/dos1
(which say has the same dir structure as a standard vsta source tree) have
an effective root of say /vsta/extern by mounting fs/dos1:vsta/extern as /

> After a little more thought, it seems like you'd do it by creating
> a new directory tree as the "chrooted" domain with an extra number
> on the end of the ownership and run the processes in there with
> the extra ID. This would prevent them from getting out so long
> as there are no other filesystems with the same or more permissive
> id. (Does this make any sense?)

Effectively yes - the only thing that strikes me as a potential problem is
the default ID offered by most fs's. For example the dos fs offers a
default read permission on all files and dirs.

Andy, any offers on how to get round this one?

                                Regards,
                                Dave