Re: LCC Compiler

From: Hwa-Jin Bae <hjb_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Jan 12 1995 - 20:23:17 PST

> I have seen several messages talking about using the LCC compiler for VSTa. I
> have been using the compiler for several months on a Sparc and I really do like
> it. There are some interesting little problems, especially with wacky code
> that uses lots of convoluted macros, but all in all the compiler is quite
> reliable.

are you using 3.1 or 3.2?

> However, the Intel 80x86 backend emits assembler code in Intel format but the
> GAS assembler on both Linux and VSTa uses a Motorola format. Has someone
> rewritten the backend to emit in Motorola format? Or are you using a
> translator step between the compiler and assembler?
>
> Enquiring minds want to know...:-)

it's not "intel" vs. "motorola" format. it's "mit" vs. "others" format.
the existing backend in lcc for x86 arch is intended for DOS, i believe,
and the machine desriptions seems to be fore microsoft style assemblers.
there are patches and hacks you can do to this and make it unix compatible
-- make it generate gas compatible "mit" output, but not gas compatible
"morotola" output ;-)

a potential problem with using LCC -- it lacks m68k backend currently.
i've talked to david hansen and he says there is no such thing currently.

--
Hwa-Jin Bae (hjb@netcom.com)
Peaceful Star, 4001 San Leandro St. #3, Oakland, CA 94601	(510)436-2884