some problems i have....

From: yhcrana <dd002b_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Aug 22 1994 - 09:27:42 PDT

hello!

i have been watching here for soo long, and finnaly have a machine to play
with. here are some things i have found to be problems..

1) no example 'etc/groups' file was included (mine was empty) and i think
that is the culprit of my next problem

2) if i log in with gid = 0 all is fine, but if gid = 1, i can not execute
the profile (or is it rc?) and my PATH,TERM, atc are all empty. ANNOYING!

3) file redirection appears to not work propperly? is is supposed to?
anyway, i tried 2 things which failed differently
'cat > ttyinput.txt'
never lets me leave, ie. ignores ^d
'ls | less'
just hangs, with (i think) less just waiting for the input..

4) nothing recognizes teh arrow keys...yes i can use ^n,^p etc, but arrows
are nice...(ie i'm lazy) i looked at the cons driver (i am assumin we now
use cons2, as cons has no keyboard hooks...) and it appears to map 1-1, is
there a way to catch esc codes. or (i jsut thought of this) does it map scan
codes? that could me easier to map..(for a reson i plan to get into next)

5) the machine i am using now has a faulty esc key, making emacs frustrating
as all hell. (try scrolling back when every other esc-v => v...) is it
possible to map (alt) to (meta)? i am not sure how this info is dealt with
in unix, but it would make a great deal of sense...IMHO

6) the HD has 2 partitions, how do i mount a 2nd partition? i can get dos
to work, but how do i make it appear in my file space?

7) is it possible to make /vsta be root, rather than / ? (thus i don's have
such a mess in my root...the boot partition is 200meg and has plenty of dos
stuff also..)

8) what is the status of VstaFS and MADO? is VstaFS reliable?

9) is there a way for a process to tell a directory from a file...(at
presetn you can 'ls file.txt' and get a text dump of the file. not bad
unless you want to allow 'ls -l file.txt' to give info on only file.txt...)

i think that is enough questions for now, though i have more at home, but i
forgot them...so what i need is a portable computer to carry al this vital
info at all times, so i can never escape.

thanx and great work to all you who have helped out so far.
derek

    You should fear any bureaucratic entity that claims to work for you.
 derek denny-brown (yhcrana) dd002b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
    chief engineer, WRUR derdb@cs.rochester.edu