VSTa FAT problems

From: Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga <humberto%annexstein_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Feb 25 1994 - 08:28:42 PST

    AV> [robert@par.univie.ac.at (Robert Mayer - Student) writes:]
>> I think I have found a bug in the DOS filesystem server, which
>> prevents the second half of the FAT to be flushed correctly:

    [[bug deleted]]

    AV> I will pursue this ASAP.

I may have a related problem. I have a 10 Mb DOS partition on my hard
drive, and it only has a 12 bit fat. My initial experiments with VSTa
cause kernel panics when I write to the filesystem:

file rw.c line 253.

I don't know which rw.c though ;-) (I assumed the dosfs rw.c).

I must say I don't know if this is a real bug, because I didn't
install a clean VSTa due to lack of space. I instead installed
vsta_fs and then copied standalone.tar to /boot, after fiddling with
boot.lst and /etc/* i got it to boot, but it will panic after several
disk writes. (I can write a hello world program and sometimes complete
the compile, but often an intermediate write will fail).

Since I also get filesystem corruption I've been reluctant to test
further.

My wife's laptop also gets sporadic filesystem corruption (directories
turn into files, files get truncated), but no kernel panics, and she
has a 16 bit fat, but her disk is practically full, so perhaps it's
the caused by a real bug, and not my instalation.

Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga zuazaga@ucunix.san.uc.edu