Re: VSTa v1.2 available

From: Rob Savoye <rob_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sat Jan 15 1994 - 21:04:24 PST

       From: Andrew Valencia <vandys@cisco.com>
       Subject: VSTa v1.2 available

> Version 1.2 of VSTa is available at ftp.cisco.com:vandys/vsta. This version

  Yippie! :-)

> apparently switched to COFF executable format, which is completely
> incompatible with a.out. Thus, cross-compilation options are either to use an

  Actually, there are good reasons for using COFF, the best one being that
source level debugging of C++ programs works...

> older DJGPP (shall I put my copy up on FTP?) or to cross compile from Linux or
> FreeBSD using the patches from rob@cygnus.com.

  I'll try to squeeze out a source release shortly. GCC's source directory
structure is being rearranged for a few days to support multi front ends in
a cleaner manner. As soon as it all stablizes again, I'll do a release. I can
do a release of all the binutils and ld first. Over the holiday, I added support
for VSTa to the entire GNU tool chain... Libc still needs some work.

> on. I will be shooting for the next release to support self-hosted compiles
> as the preferred method of building from source. Such a change requires a

  This is my goal too. Adding support for VSTa to the GNU tools isn't as
useful for cross development as it is for self-hosting. The main problem I see
is it'd be best to use GCC's header files rather than VSTa's. The VSTa specific
stuff would get it's own header files. There is support in the C library for
platform specific header files. I will get any patches required back into the
mainstream GNU sources.

        - rob -