Re: Mapping user names

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Jan 07 1994 - 09:46:48 PST

[nick@nsis.cl.nec.co.jp (Gavin Thomas Nicol) writes:]

>Can user names be mapped from msg.sender? MADO will need some way to
>find out who connected to it, so it can load the user's font mappings.

Hmmm, does MADO keep a central database? How would he know what the
user's filesystem view would look like? Or does MADO register requested
font names, but keep all the actual font storage under his own control?

Anyway, the "perm_uid" field of a "struct perm" was added so that for
each ability a server is told a client possesses, it can know *why* it
has that ability. Roughly, "uid" is the login name--if the user is
local. In a clustered configuration, I don't know yet how I'll map
UIDs. I may just map all remote UIDs to a single UID like "net" by
default.

                                                Andy