(no subject)

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Dec 29 1993 - 14:48:45 PST

[David Eagle USG <eagle@zk3.dec.com> writes:]

>"Would we be able to write the kernel of VSTa into FLASH BIOS,
>and thus boot amazingly fast?" "Should I make it a priority
>to have FLASH BIOS as a component of the new system I am buying?"

Well, I can get DOS to boot in about 6 seconds from a warm boot and about
12 from cold (RAM test disabled, no config.sys and empty autoexec.bat of
course). VSTa takes about 10 seconds after that. I guess if you're stuck
with a BIOS which is really poky it might pay off.

>Also, I would appreciate comments on whether I could be hurt by
>opting to save $150 by going with the Cyrix 486DLC/40 instead of
>the Intel 486SX25.

I have personally run VSTa on a 386, 486SX, and 486DX2 66 Mhz. I've never
heard of anybody running on a Cyrix. From all accounts, it's supposed to be
quite compatible--take a standalone boot floppy down to the store and give
it a spin! If the standalone boot can come up, ID keyboard/screen/disk, then
I'd expect that it's fine.

Even if it didn't boot right off, source is available and I'd be interested
in merging back any changes which fixed running with a Cyrix part (without
breaking an Intel part, preferably... :->).

                                                        Andy