RE: Java port to VSTa? -- tangent

From: chefren <chefren_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 15:06:18 PST

On 9 Feb 01, at 19:52, James Northrup wrote:

> Not to stray the topic at all... but... I have considered vsta ripe with
> opportunity to operate as a dedicated java workstation. My experience with
> low-power old sparcs with fast framebuffers and pathetic cpu's has shaped my
> conception of a vsta NC-like device (or any other platform for that
> matter.).

I would be happy if this hardware platform would be chosen:

http://www.thinknic.com/

Simply put, the idea is: CD in the box, boot, and it works.

There is 64MB RAM available, 200MHz CPU and it costs $199.

There are a few different efforts for this hardware
platform. That can all be tried and compared easily. All
software is open source. People are making webservers with
it, routers, terminals and so on.

+++chefren