RE: Java port to VSTa? -- tangent

From: James Northrup <james_northrup_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 16:52:52 PST

Not to stray the topic at all... but... I have considered vsta ripe with
opportunity to operate as a dedicated java workstation. My experience with
low-power old sparcs with fast framebuffers and pathetic cpu's has shaped my
conception of a vsta NC-like device (or any other platform for that
matter.).

I have adequate success using VNC to develop java from old sun4c
workstations remotely connecting to my windows and linux servers.

While I am involved presently with a startup, and can't devote much time to
learning and hacking device drivers, opengl ports, jdk ports, etc. I have
some ideas I'm putting down on paper for some future retirement date wherein
I can take up such heartfelt pursuits.

I still hold vsta in my mind as the ideal kernel platform with which to
produce low-overhead remote desktop environments, and I have seen
underwhelming CPU's pushing fantastic opengl displays with some reasonably
low-cost voodoo banshee cards ($25).

I also have yet to see a successful texture mapped window manager running
X11/vnc displays with xy + Z! layout management and realtime updates.
Meanwhile contemporary video cards are dumping gobs of heat and voltage at
insane clock rates to perform essentially what an old paradise VGA card
performs in 2d.

My idea is to form a working discussion group and contribute occasional
weekend to distributed protocol and driver development.

Coming soon to a sourceforge near you...

[...]
AARDVARK -AbstrAct Remote Display Virtual Aperture Kernel

This project will lay the groundwork for a middleware display layer to
integrate many machines onto many virtual desktops using a network and
hardware abstraction layer.

This project will also attempt to integrate VNC's RFB protocol or develop an
analog which will provide rendering primitives for a 3d panel management
environ which allows a 3d rendering of the user's 2-d mouse/keyboard/audio
interfaces.

The goal is to provide encrypted, compressed, optimized, WAN and LAN quality
remote rendering and sharing of collections of workstations and servers and
the various window interfaces of X11, Win32, and Java/2d/3d/jfc api's.

[...]resume original topic...