Re: directory listing problem

From: Sandro Magi <naasking_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 19:04:49 PST

>I don't know if you really want to debug it; personally, I'm curious. If
>you do, read on....
>
>Go into /vsta/src/lib, do a "make libc_s.a", then "rm dir.o", edit makefile
>to add -g to CFLAGS, then do "make libc_s.a" again. This'll give you a
>static libc with -g information for the directory traversal routines.

This part goes well.

>Now go over to /vsta/src/bin/cmds, do "make ls.o" and then:
>
> rm -f ls
> gcc -o ls ls.o /vsta/src/lib/libc_s.a

At this point I run into a problem. gcc exits and pukes out this message:

    ls.o(.text+0xeb):undefined reference to cvt_id
    gcc: Internal Compiler error:program got fata signal 1

Any idea what happened?

I also ran into another interesting problem. I was logged in as root and all
the source files had rw capabilities for sys.sys, and nothing for anyone
else(this is what I could interpret given my current knowledge of VSTa). So
I tried editing the file, but as soon as I typed 'i' in vi to insert some
text, it dropped into the debugger. I quit that and it returned me to the
command line, but when I tried typing in commands, I just got 'error 22'(or
something similar) as my only response.

I'm guessing server that handles the disk or filesystem exited because of
permission violation. Am I close? Wouldn't better behaviour be to simply
deny writing out the file, or is this a symptom of a deeper problem/bug?

Thanks for the help. :-)