Re: VSTa 1.6.5

From: Sandro Magi <naasking_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 20:02:59 PST

>Note that the disk image had some leading stuff before the actual
>filesystem
>in question (17 sectors worth, if I recollect). So I had to do
>
> dd bs=512 skip=17 if=10M of=10M.new
>
>to trim off the leading sectors, and then I could work against the
>.new version.

Working with disk images and bochs is kind of strange because bochs won't
recognize any partitions when I tried to use a disk image that wasn't set
the way I sent it to you. I'm pretty sure it's because it emulates a real
computer and hence requires partitions and all for it's 'disks'.

So what I had to do to create a useable image was boot into freedos using a
preloaded freedos image, FDISK the main c:\ image and create a dos
partition. I then had to FORMAT C: to create a dos filesystem. Otherwise the
bootloader(GRUB) couldn't find a bootable partition.

The 'mount' command in Linux provides functionality for skipping the x
number of bytes that you stripped, so I could mount it directly. it's
something like 'mount -o offset=8192 10M /mnt/10M'. The offset is calculated
by the number of used sectors at the beginning of the image(ie. the number
before the start of the partition), which in this case is 16. So
16*512(bytes/sectors) = 8192. Then I could load whatever I wanted onto the
mounted image. The only thing I'm looking to do now is create a FAT32
partition or maybe even vstafs.

Which brings me to a question which I haven't found answered anywhere in the
documentation yet: what is the state of vstafs? is it useable?