Re: My FS Problem

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 15:14:17 PST

[Erik Dalen <erik@jpl.nu> writes:]

>I have gotten exactly the same problem twice and it was on freshly
>formatted FAT disks. I had unly untared the vsta stuff onto them. maybe a
>fsck.fat (ala unix) would be good to fix this kind of stuff?

First, if there's some legal directory entry format which has embedded nulls
in a 8.3 directory entry, then all I need is a pointer to some doc which
describes it. I haven't heard of it, and haven't run into it myself, but it
could certainly be out there somewhere.

If it's actually filesystem damage, I've always wimped out and used the
Microdreck utility. Is there a FAT fsck available anywhere? Or could I get
somebody (else) to write one? :-> The problem is that I just don't need it
very often, thus it hasn't been written.

If somebody can get it to reproduce on a small-ish disk, and they had the
ability to "dd" the contents off, I'd be up for getting an entire disk image
so I could debug it here (gzip it for me, of course). But please, no 2
gigabyte images!

After having finished > 4G disk support, I'm back to working on the timeout
support for select().

Thanks,
Andy Valencia