Re: SourceForge

From: Rob Savoye <rob_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 14:10:20 PDT

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 01:52:43PM -0700, Andy Valencia wrote:

> One trivial problem--ssh access for CVS. I just haven't had much luck
> finding a simple set of ssh source to compile for my (FreeBSD) development
> system.

  Bummer. SSH even runs on WinDoze and MacOS. It should build for FreeBSD.

> More fundamentally, it looks like a given project has no granularity with
> respect to who gets to modify what. I'm comfortable with neither having the
> whole thing open to any contribitor, nor with having to spin off a number of

  I work on 3 projects on SourceForge, and maintain two of them. You have
total control over checkin CVS access, but everyone else gets read only
access. You, as the maintainer should be the only one to modify things
like the web site, releases, etc... Anyway, I like it. Even though I have
my own CVS & web server, I still host my projects on SourceForge.

> doesn't seem like a big deal. Another key piece is the need for our lousy
> networking card coverage (still just NE2000) to improve. I foresee ISA

  I recently used OSKit's device driver wrappers, so my netbooting program
can support all NICS supported by FreeBSD. You might want to check that idea
(of writing wrappers) out.

        - rob -