Re: SourceForge

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 13:52:43 PDT

["Gavin Thomas Nicol" <gtn@ebt.com> writes:]

>Any thought of moving to sourceforge? Seems like
>it's make coordination a bit easier.

Yes, quite a bit of thought--I even got a SourceForge project allocated.

One trivial problem--ssh access for CVS. I just haven't had much luck
finding a simple set of ssh source to compile for my (FreeBSD) development
system.

More fundamentally, it looks like a given project has no granularity with
respect to who gets to modify what. I'm comfortable with neither having the
whole thing open to any contribitor, nor with having to spin off a number of
SourceForge projects (even if SF didn't mind). So I'm still thinking about
vstafs/RCS source control, with distributed VSTa messaging to permit remote
developers to directly control their parts of the tree.

I'll need to have a 7/24 VSTa server running to permit this, but that
doesn't seem like a big deal. Another key piece is the need for our lousy
networking card coverage (still just NE2000) to improve. I foresee ISA
slots becoming a novelty in the very near future.

Andy