Re: VSTa news

From: Martin Lucina <mato_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 19:37:34 PDT

Hello All,

vandys@zendo.com said:

> It gives me great pleasure to announce some changes on the VSTa home front.
> Because of the unprecedented valuations of Internet companies, and my timely
> employment at Cisco Systems, I have recently resigned my position at Cisco
> in order to pursue "personal interests". For me, this will entail some
> market gardening, and--as you might guess--VSTa hacking. So after a long
> slumber, my plan is for VSTa to reawaken with a full-time owner again.

Great! I look forward to many great undertakings. I unfortunately have not
been active on the VSTa front for ages now so I wont make any promises.
However I would like to ask if you are planning to work on any
driver/network stack glue libraries that would allow us to pull drivers and
TCP/IP out of *BSD? This is still something I would really like to do, but
in the mean time anyone else interested in doing some hacking, go to it! I
think this would be a most worthwhile project for someone wanting to get
involved.

BTW. Recalling our discussions ages ago on whether to use Linux or BSD
code, I (having now spent some time hacking drivers on Linux) would
definitely go for BSD. After having to stare at other peoples code trying
to understand it, I have come to very much appreaciate such things as
comments and clean design, which I have not seen much of in Linux. :-(

> In addition to the progress I sent to the list recently, I've been busy
> adapting MGR's "Sun Portable" blit driver to the 256-color VGA modes under
> svgalib. I should probably suspend this to provide an update to all of you,
> although I'm pretty close to having it work (currently I'm putting in the
> 64k bank switching support). It's been slower than usual because (1) I'm
> still a little stale, and (2) I don't have much experience with PC graphics
> cards. But it's getting there.

Makes me think we should persuade QNX to free up Photon. Not that they
would ever do it of course, but it would suit our purposes nicely.

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Lucina http://www.kotelna.sk/mato/ Wellington, New Zealand
I've always been mad I know I've been mad like the most of us are