Clustering

From: Adrian Wong <atwong_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 00:12:13 PDT

Hi all,
I'm a relative newbie to VSTa. I've been reading the source
to get some background. My interest in VSTa is in the potential
for transparent clustering, especially in desigining for clustering
from the ground-up. I have a couple questions before I dive into
the deep end:

   1. What are the current thoughts on clustering? Is it too
       premature to start thinking about this?

   2. Am I right that none of the clients make any assumption
        about the services being in the same address space? (Since
         all transactions use message-passing).

  3. Does external (not in the same address space) message
      passing implementation belong inside the kernel or in
      user space?

  4. Would port numbers be unique cluster-wide? How do you
      "discover" the services "out there".

My apologies if this all sounds a little naive. I will have access
to VI Architecture network cards (Giganet), and would be interesting to
see if remote services could be implemented within VSTa.

thanks
Adrian