Re: VSTa update

From: Tim Newsham <newsham_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 01:13:31 PST

> And the plan 9 bitblt protocol doesn't seem to be able to adjust to
> multihead systems very well, if one is designed now it's best to include
> support for that from ground up. The best way to accomplish that would

From what I read about QNX and photon, it sounds like they had
a very nice way of handling this. You have this display space
and graphics events are sent through the display space as messages.
The displays are then just regions in this space. Graphical events
that happen to intersect the displays area of interest are clipped
to the region and passed to the display. In this way you can
have any number of displays attached to your session by just putting
them into the graphical of your session. You could have them overlapping
(in which case some events would show up in both displays), next
to each other, or seperated. Or you could have two graphical displays
showing data from seperate graphical spaces.

In this model you can easily do things like slip a remote viewer
over your displays area to allow someone else to see what you see,
or just over a particular window. You could display an entire
window on one display while it is partially displayed on another
display, but slipping the display's region directly in front of
the window in question. etc..
It seems like a very powerful abstraction.

> /Erik

                                         Tim N.