Re: Potential installation problem

From: Erik Dalen <erik_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 18:51:30 PST

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Andy Valencia wrote:

> Hello, folks.
>
> I've begun hacking on the DOS filesystem to support FAT-32. The way it
> supported FAT-12/16 was really a hack, so I'm trying to really clean up the
> support for different FAT formats.

actually wouldn't it be better to fix up the ext2fs driver to really work
as ext2fs is probably better than FAT-32?

> As a part of this, I realized that not only does the server not support an
> increasingly common filesystem format, but it has no clear error check to
> catch it (I *thought* it did, but I've now realized that there are legal
> FAT-32 filesystems which will slip through). For my current test FAT-32
> filesystem, the symptom is that the filesystem mounts up, but appears empty.
> So if you're having trouble with, say, inittab's which can't be found, this
> may be the culprit.

I found the problem. It wasn't FAT-32 but as I said there was 2 vsta
folders, and they where both of type f?!? so I removed one of them and
then the other one changed to type d and then it all worked. The mkdir I
used was from DOS 6.22

> WWW site installation tutorial updated. Hopefully I can push out a new
> release with FAT-32 support shortly.

I'm already looking forward to it :)

> BTW... stay tuned for a mid-April announcement on this list. :->
>
> Regards,
> Andy Valencia

/Erik