Re: VSTa & vi/emacs

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon May 31 1999 - 00:04:02 PDT

[Legolas Pascal <arkadion@hotmail.com> writes:]

>I installed VSTa on a computer,
>and after logging in as root, I try to run 'vi' or 'emacs'
>and both give me errors concerning the terminal.
>Emacs complains that TERM is not defined and vi says
>"OOPs" a bunch of times. What am I doing wrong?

Did you monkey with the TERM environment variable? It should have been
set to "nansi" in /vsta/etc/rc.

I'm going to create a sample account "guest" in /vsta/guest (actually, the
account exists today, but its home has been /tmp). That account will have
more examples of supporting files like the "sh" profile and _exrc for
"vim". But none of this should be needed if the default environment has
been set up correctly by the boot sequence.

Andy