Re: VSTa & vi/emacs

From: Eric Jacobs <Eric_Jacobs_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 05:55:43 PDT

vandys@zendo.com writes:

>>I installed VSTa on a computer,
>>and after logging in as root, I try to run 'vi' or 'emacs'
>>and both give me errors concerning the terminal.
>>Emacs complains that TERM is not defined and vi says
>>"OOPs" a bunch of times. What am I doing wrong?

>Did you monkey with the TERM environment variable? It should have been
>set to "nansi" in /vsta/etc/rc.

Also make sure that the environment is connected to /env. If not, use

vsta$ mount ENV /env

Then you also might need to recreate the per-connect directory:

vsta$ mkdir "/env/#"

or, to get into a certain account's environment, for example:

vsta$ mkdir "/env/root/#"

Note that disconnecting and reconnecting to /env causes you to lose
your per-connect environment, which is where the POSIX layer
stores its environmental variables. It's made complicated by the fact
that sh has its own environment cache and that it doesn't report
errors during getenv()/setenv()/putenv().

After doing the mkdir you should be able to do TERM=nansi and
export TERM and that will properly export to the child processes.