Extended chars. + other newbie questions

From: James Campbell Haggerty <j.h_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri May 21 1999 - 20:10:17 PDT

I installed VSTa a couple of weeks ago, and it's working quite well.

However, there's one serious problem - none of the non-terminal
characters on my keyboard work - e.g. arrow keys, ins, del, etc. I
also can't use CAPS-LOCK (no effect and no light) and NUM-LOCK
(this appears to work, but the light doesn't change).

For example, if I enter an arrow key at the shell prompt I get
<beep>A, or <beep>B etc. At the login prompt I get OA, OB etc.
However, enter the ANSI codes manually - ESC[A - works fine, but
this is a pain.

Is this a problems with cons? termcap? Can someone explain how
VSTa implements its keyboard handling?

Please help! (excuse the possible stupidity of this question, as I
am both fairly inexperienced with UNICES and programming).

A couple of other less important questions:
- How can I change the background in MGR?
- What does "cons3" do, and can you replace the one on the
website with one that isn't corrupted?
- What happened to the mailing list archives? The last message
was in Oct. 98 on the web site, but it says it is automatically
updated daily. Has the address of the updater been deleted from
the mailing list?

Thanks in advance,
James