Re: Problems with GCC on 386

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri May 21 1999 - 08:18:35 PDT

[Eric_Jacobs@fc.mcps.k12.md.us (Eric Jacobs) writes:]

>I had installed VSTa on a 386 hoping to just mess around with the
>kernel on it. Everything seems to run ok except when I try to recompile
>the kernel with GCC. It won't seem to inline any functions; if the
>function
>is marked "inline" it simply ignores it and generates hundreds of linker
>errors instead. So I had to reboot into FreeBSD, set to a.out and
>re-make
>the kernel in there (it worked for compilation, but ld dumped core.)
>Then I
>boot back into VSTa, finish linking it, and then it works. Is there any
>way
>to get this compile properly on an old system, or is inlining functions
>such
>an advanced operation that it requires a floating-point unit?

Actually, your gcc should simply croak on GCC, at least if you use the
optimizer. There's no FPU emulation, so you either have the hardware, or
GCC should take a SIGFPU. Without inlining, the way gcc treats inlined
functions is kind of broken, so at least for building kernel source I think
you're stuck. :-(

Andy