Problems with GCC on 386

From: Eric Jacobs <Eric_Jacobs_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri May 21 1999 - 07:39:13 PDT

I had installed VSTa on a 386 hoping to just mess around with the
kernel on it. Everything seems to run ok except when I try to recompile
the kernel with GCC. It won't seem to inline any functions; if the
function
is marked "inline" it simply ignores it and generates hundreds of linker
errors instead. So I had to reboot into FreeBSD, set to a.out and
re-make
the kernel in there (it worked for compilation, but ld dumped core.)
Then I
boot back into VSTa, finish linking it, and then it works. Is there any
way
to get this compile properly on an old system, or is inlining functions
such
an advanced operation that it requires a floating-point unit?