Re: VSTa

From: Major'Trips' <major_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 19:46:47 PDT

On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 10:58:28AM -0700, David Jeske wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 06:14:42PM -0400, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> > > approach. For instance, www.squeak.org is a very powerful Smalltalk
> > > implementation which might make a nice starting point for all
> >
> > Well, as much as I like Smalltalk, it's still too far "out there".
> > VSTa could get a lot of benefit from exploring some of the more
> > interesting things in QNX et al. I think.
>
> Really? Hmm.. I think I much more agree with Andy. While I don't know
> if I would use smalltalk, I think today's expanding problems with
> software and operating systems do not rely around which kernel
> orginization can get 4k/s faster I/O. Increasingly, desktop and
> embedded applications are built with commodity software systems
> sitting on top of whatever kernel is convinent.
>
> What interesting things in QNX were you referring to?
>
> --
> David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske_at_chat.net

I believe that trying to redirect towards an embeded only enviroment would be
fairly .. well .. suicide. The embeded market is beeing pushed towards more
and more open standards, TCP, SNMP, POSIX, ect..ect by the end customer who
wishes to intigrate systems that needed embded RTOS enviroments w/ their
current interanet. As well, the other huge winner is the number of platforms
you can run on and the hardware you can support. The end customer, even in
the embeded market, prefers vast amounts of flexability. That's likley why
Linux has worked it's way into the embeded market as well.

--
   "Reality is what you can get away with!"
                      ++Robert Anton Wilson