Re: VSTa

From: Major'Trips' <major_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Apr 22 1999 - 06:00:32 PDT

Well, one of the important things I would keep in mind is that a) unix started
off as an enviroment for Ken Thompson and crew to continue their development
on the "Space Travel" game. A good deal of the ideas and concepts behind Unix
where adopted to give the Unix developers an enviroment that did not force
them to do things any certain way. Be it a specific language, a specific set
of API's they must use, none of that. C was developed parrallel with Unix and
it to went under the same considerations. That and the fact that the entire
development team where ex-Multics developers made for an enviroment where the
developer could choose from nearly any language they wanted to, and any
library routines. And if they didn't have something they wanted or didn't
like an already existing version they where allowed write it for themselves.

Constraining a developer enviroment to any one language sounds to me like
certain suicide.

Don't forget .. "unix" is nothing more then a license any more. The original
"unix" wasn't allow to be "sold" due to a decree AT&T had signed with the
goverment "restricting" them from selling any product not directly related to
carrier wave or telegraph communication. They where also not allowed to do
business that was not directly related to telephone or telegraph
communication. So Unix was originally distributed at no cost, with only a
small fee apon distribution itself. Before 1978 Unix became so dominant
because it was in all essence "free". Though AT&T still controled source
rights to the entire OS. Later AT&T went on to get that decree thrown out and
suddenly allowed to charge insane license rights for unix. It was thanx to
items such as Minix and BSD that the universities still used a unix enviroment
at all.

Soo .. while I would say "yes" it was thanx to the fact that Linux is a POSIX
compliant OS that "assisted" with an easy transition to using it from higher
priced OS's that contain strict restrictions for ussage. I would also note
that Linux and Unix share a common method for market entry. Free Source. The
only significant differances between them at the time was that AT&T's Unix was
not copyleft.

--
   "Reality is what you can get away with!"
                      ++Robert Anton Wilson