Re: Q: GRUB & LILO?

From: David Jeske <jeske_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Nov 06 1997 - 10:44:19 PST

On Wed, Nov 05, 1997 at 09:31:42AM -0800, Andrew Valencia wrote:
> >I would like to boot GRUB from LILO (and then boot VSTa). However, I
> >failed to install grub sucessfully on the harddisk (actually, I'm not
> >sure i fully understood all of GRUB features; I tried several GRUB
> >install= commands without success)
>
> I thought GRUB could boot Linux in *place* of LILO. I don't recollect any
> instructions on how to use LILO to load GRUB. But, then, my other primary
> OS is FreeBSD, so I'm not very LILO literate.

You can boot GRUB from LILO. Standard "disk" or "partition" booting,
involves loading the first 512 bytes from the disk. That's how GRUB gets
loaded initially, that's how LILO gets loaded, that's how either of them
"chain-load" other standard operating systems like DOS or OS/2.

If you install LILO on your master boot record (i.e. use the hard drive
device, not a partition device) and you install GRUB onto a
partition's boot record, then you can setup LILO to chain-load that
partition, and you'll hit GRUB.

It sounds like you may have already accomplished this.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + jeske@chat.net