061297: more stuff

From: Eric Dorman <edorman_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 10:40:57 PDT

Andy writes:
>[edorman@Tanya.ucsd.edu (Eric Dorman) writes:]

>>I did notice however that the response of the system as a whole
>>seems to be more sluggish. Startup is somewhat slower and response
>>in different vtys is, well, 'sticky'. It's kinda hard to explain..
>>I'll try to quantify it more this wk.
>
>Check "ps" to see who's running. You might have a runaway process.

That's what I thought the first time, but haven't found anything
yet. I'm *fairly* sure it's not something 'subliminal' like (you
mentioned) power mgmt; that sort of ick is turned off unless
the BIOS is lying :) Maybe 061297 is tickling something in my box
that 1.5.2 didn't....

>> ls -l output format isin't conducive to pipelining, and I personally
>>find it hard to read.
>There was a poprt of GNU "ls". That'd help, I suppose.

True, but it wouldn't include coping with capabilities.

>>I was wondering what negative results might come from doing something
>>like
>> mount fs/root:vsta /
>>all the time, to construct a union mount in / of the dos stuff and the
>>vsta stuff. The intent is to establish a Plan9ish consistency,
>>with /lib, /bin, /include etc. and writing the src tree to assume
>>these are the locations of stuff it needs. This mount would eliminate
>>a depth dependency that exists in the src tree (all the -I/-L../../../
>>stuff) and make 'mkall install' work regardless of where the src tree
>>resided, and more easily support more architectures.
>
>No, actually all the relative stuff is so that you can move the tree
>anywhere.

Uh, I can't see how you can move the tree anywhere if there is
-I../../.. specifying where standard includes are (for example); it
reads to me that you have to have /include exactly 3 directories up.
So if your src tree is in, say, /usr/blah/src and your includes are in
/vsta/include (like my test tree) it breaks compiles and installs... I've
found it easier to just union mount stuff into / (like /include, /lib, /boot)
and then just say -I/include, -L/lib, etc. rather than counting dir
depths.. what am I missing?

>The only remaining wart is that
>/vsta/include should have a matching /vsta/src/include.

Mmm, two separate include dirs, /vsta/include and /vsta/src/include
with the same contents?

>> I haven't run into any trouble with this mount even though
>>it hides whatever bin/lib/include dos junk is beneath it, but I
>>have very little DOSstuff :)
>
>Me, either. I wrote Hearts for MGR so I could bear to de-install Windows
>3.1. :-)

Hehehe. I think I have a 150M dos part and a 1.4G vfs part; just enough
dos stuff to keep a full vsta tree on dosfs. I guess that shows where
my priorities are :) Now if I could get that jaz working...

> Andy

Sincerely,

Eric Dorman
edorman@tanya.ucsd.edu