Re: boot problems. scsi. 9P.

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Sep 09 1993 - 08:49:23 PDT

[Jonathon Tidswell <jont@hsa.com.au> writes:]
>| I grabbed a a few different versions of make for dos and rm/touch for dos
>| so far I have not found a combination that works.

Yes, I'm still hunting for such a beast myself. Some don't honor
I/O redirection, others don't honor generic rules. I didn't realize
the DOS "make" world was such a mess!

>The scsi server would be written to allow only one open connection to any
>particular device chnl. [ Im not sure about FS_DUP ? ]

You would only see these if your SCSI device handler did a fork().
Not too likely to happen, but I guess you could return failure and
thus children would not have access to the device.

>A tape server would then attempt to search through scsi/?/info for any name
>that matched a device it knew how to handle at which point it would open
>RD.WR the chnl for that device.

Actually, I'd just have the tape server written to be told what to open.
Use a shell script to walk the SCSI hierarchy and run servers on devices.

>It may then make another directory tree available ...

Depends on the SCSI device. Tape would not necessarily need a dir
tree--the top node would be the place you do everything. Disks could
need a dir tree, since they might offer partitions.

>My plan is to write a simple server that creates the directory tree according
>to some config file, and test my VSTa interface, then to work on the scsi
>part and test my SCSI code, which wont autoconfig-IRQ.

Don't use a config file! The config file is on the SCSI disk, so your
SCSI disk server has to be up. But it needs a config file.... :-)

>[ Since Ive never been kernel hacking before I dont presume to cluefulnes(*)
>so if you arent sure if I have thought of something I quite probably havent. ]

Well, this isn't really kernel hacking! It's system code, but it runs
in ring 3. That's why I like microkernels.

If you have a copy of the technical spec for the 1542, I would really
like to see it. I also don't have the SCSI spec for hard disks. All
my PC technical documentation is rather old....

                                                Andy