boot problems. scsi. 9P.

From: Jonathon Tidswell <jont_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Sep 09 1993 - 06:50:38 PDT

[ Sometimnes the uucp delay can be put to good use. Stopping an item and
editing it before re-sending ... :-]

----- BOOT PROBLEMS -----

> From: nick@nsis.cl.nec.co.jp (Gavin Thomas Nicol)

[ ... regarding disk partitions and Linux ... ]

I also scrapped Linux to create the DOS partition needed for VSTa, though I
have had some troubles bootstrapping VSTa :-(

| I grabbed a a few different versions of make for dos and rm/touch for dos
| so far I have not found a combination that works.
| [ Im a DOS newbie, this is basically my first dos partition ;-/ ]
Since writing this I managed to get an 'rm' that worked with dmake3.8 and
Im almost happy.

Ive come accross a few problems [ I just checked the patches and they fix
most of them ] the one remaining concerns "an unknown error" from login
scrolling down my screen when boot runs init.
I might try playing with init and adding the patches :-)

----- SCSI -----

Is anybody else considering working on scsi ?
[ I have both IDE disk and scsi disk, tape and cdrom. ]

My thoughts are rather abstract sofar, mostly a server that would
create a directory tree like the following
(/dev/??)
scsi/
        n/
                info - things like name, [a]sync, device id, ...
                chnl - access for device <n>
        hba - this is a duplicate of the info file for whichever device id
                   is used by the hba.

The directory <n> would be present iff a device <n:0-7> was found on the bus.

The scsi server would be written to allow only one open connection to any
particular device chnl. [ Im not sure about FS_DUP ? ]

A tape server would then attempt to search through scsi/?/info for any name
that matched a device it knew how to handle at which point it would open
RD.WR the chnl for that device.

It may then make another directory tree available ...

My current status is that I am looking at adaptec 1542, PC/ISA-BUS info
and VSTa info to figure out the scsi server, I have not looked yet at the
record structure required for messages down the device chnl.

My plan is to write a simple server that creates the directory tree according
to some config file, and test my VSTa interface, then to work on the scsi
part and test my SCSI code, which wont autoconfig-IRQ.

comments ... ?
[ Since Ive never been kernel hacking before I dont presume to cluefulnes(*)
so if you arent sure if I have thought of something I quite probably havent. ]

Andrew made a reference to similarity between vsta messages and 9P in one
of his docs, is anyone considering a library mapping one to the other ?

thanks
JonT
(*) Nor good english. :-)