Re: VSTa

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Aug 22 1993 - 18:30:53 PDT

Cool! You're welcome to scope out the effort. You'll need access to
a 386 PC with IDE or ST-506 disks (well, one disk is fine!) We have
a mailing list (vsta@cisco.com, vsta-request@cisco.com for admin stuff)
and an FTP site for you to pull sources (ftp.cisco.com:vandys/vsta).
Start with the readme, pull what else you desire, and see about getting
it booted up. Note (the doc says this, but I guess it's easy to miss)
that you'll need the DJ Delorie C compiler package for DOS to get yourself
up and running. I've compile and run with both 1.X and 2.X GCC flavors, but
I've received some complaints concerning earlier 2.X flavors. The patches
in the patches subdir should help.

I've been starting to ponder writing a "guided tour" kind of document, but
for now I guess you'll have to get by with reading the source, recognizing
stuff from other OS'es, and of course, the mailing list.

We currently have a bunch of people who are just getting it running and
are searching about for what they might want to do. We have a from-
scratch windowing system being written, and I'm busily hacking on a
fancier filesystem (currently we boot & run with a DOS filesystem.)
Other folks are making initial efforts on SCSI drivers, networking
code, and there's a bunch of discussion (though no code yet) for
shared libraries.

                                Regards... Andy Valencia