DOS dying and Shared Libraries....

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <nick_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Aug 22 1993 - 16:16:51 PDT

Peter Holzer <hp@quasi.vmars.tuwien.ac.at> writes

>User programs could be relocated when loaded or they could use jump
>tables.

We should not use jump tables, because they cause all sorts of
problems when upgrading, and we cannot use PIC because of performance
problems. I kind of liked the idea Andy has with the shlib server;
maybe because it's so different. I'm not really qualified to say what
is best though because 1) I'll not be implementing shared libraries
unless they aren't done before the windowing system is. 2) I have no
*real* experience in designing such systems, even though I know the
pitfalls of current systems.

Somebody else metioned that DOS bailed out on them. If the disk
geometry looks OK. check the block size for DOS. If the block size is
1024 bytes, I'll tell you how to patch it to fix it. (I think USA and
non-USA DOS differ a bit. I know the NEC version certainly is
different.)

I'll be sending Andy a new string.c, string.h, stdio.h, console kernel
debugger, and a few other things later today.