Re: Mount groups

From: Andy Valencia From: <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 14:14:18 PST

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Dal=E9n?= <dalen@jpl.se> writes:

>It would be very useful if vsta supported mount groups ala plan9. So a
>new process can either share the same namespace as the parent, have a
>copy of it or a clean one.
>It would make it possible to mount things into other processes name spaces.

Ok, but what problem are you trying to solve with this?

>But I'm wondering what the best way to implement this would be?
>it could be implemented using the same structs as today but having a
>shared memory region for all processes in the same mount group.
>However I think it would be more elegant to have a sort of mtab server
>that holds mtab file for each mount group, and then the processes would
>just need a variable that tells them which group they belong to.

I agree that shared memory isn't the best way to proceed.

I don't see how an mtab server helps, since clearly you can pull your
mount table from it at some defined time (like, at process startup) but
how do you know to go back to it subsequently?

And I can imagine ways to make this work (polling, signals, whatever) but
I still don't see the high level problem which would justify this much
baggage?

Andy