Java Support?

From: Datrix Solutions <datrix_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Jun 21 1995 - 10:31:29 PDT

Hi,

I have just discovered VSTa. I installed the distribution on three
machines (2 laptops) and it compiled and built fine. I sometimes get the
"1980 is before 1990" warning, and permission faults in the untar, not
sure what they mean... I immediately wrote a printf process that I ran
multiple time in the background, and then fired up 2 x gcc's. I am very
impressed with the multitasking and the availability of good interaction
during heavy processing.

I must say that I am very new to this level of systems programming. I am
used to templates, inheritance, etc, ... right I'm a C++ programmer. I
can see that it must be a diffucult task to write an operating system in
C++. I think a programmer should at stage be able to visualize roughly
how the code will look in assembly - so necessary for optimal machine code.

I am busy going through the (large) archives.

Has anyone been looking at Java? I posted a message to their porting
mailing list asking what minimal support is required for Java (heard about
VSTa) I had this idea that an operating system could be hard-coded to only
handle TCP/IP, Graphics, Http, virtual memory, etc + Java VM. Booting off
one floppy disk into an html/Java/ppp type environment, would be kinda
nice. Most of the systems code code be uploaded as Java itself.

I have already "evangalized" VSTa :-), I am planning to do a lot of
experimenting with it, but have a lot to learn first. I have bought a few
books on i386/i486 architecture and programming.
But the problem is 10 million other things pressing :-(

cheers,
Wayne