vsta - compile problems

From: Timothy Newsham <newsham_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Apr 25 1995 - 22:34:42 PDT

Hi,

   I got VSTa up and running on the laptop. It was the -mono
flag that I needed. I am also able to compile now. I was
able to write a small program to talk to the serial port.
I noticed some weirdness. When I do a tcsetattr() on the
modem line it also seems to affect the console. I havent
started digging through the code yet. I tried using a
tfork() for the two sides of the i/o job but that didnt
work so well. After using a normal fork() it seemed to
work ok. I did notice a high loss rate at 9600bps. It
didnt work at all at 19200 or 38400. When I used the
login program on the same serial line it seemed to work
ok (no loss) but it only sends \r's at the end of lines
for some commands.

Anyway on to my main problem. Again I am having trouble
with the compiler. I can use 'cc' just fine but 'gcc'
does not seem to work. It complains that it cant find
cpp:

    'gcc: installation problem, cannot exec cpp: no entry'
    'gcc: Program cpp got fatal signal 127.'
    'perm'

I can run cpp manually so I assume its just a path problem
of some sort.

Its really fun to see VSTa working after reading the source
and descriptions from others for so long and working on
a non-working version for so long.

                             Tim N.