Re: Linking: /vsta/lib or /vsta/libc?

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Mar 03 1995 - 10:31:21 PST

[koogler@bedford.progress.com (David Koogler) writes:]

>What directory should we be linking against: /vsta/lib or /vsta/libc? I would
>expect to link with the first directory, since that is where the libraries get
>installed by the Makefile found in /vsta/libc. However, most of the Makefiles
>for the servers and applications refer to /vsta/libc. Though the two
>directories are generally equivalent, consistent usage removes a some
>unnecessary confusion.

You have to draw a distinction between compiles done by a user under an
installed operating system, and the build process for the operating system
itself.

/vsta/libc is the source, and holds the .o/.a's as built from current
source. Other directories use this, so that when you're done you have a set
of executables which are compiled and linked against the latest libraries
and objects as built from current source.

When this is all happy & good, you then install them in /vsta/lib. Then
innocent gcc's from your home directory, for instance, compile and link
against the installed versions of the objects.

Handwave for include files. They should be broken out similarly, but aren't
(yet).

                                                Andy