Re: vsta 1.3.3 feedback

From: Paul Fox <pgf_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Mar 01 1995 - 06:12:40 PST

> 4) rcs!

if anyone's interested, i have a set of patches for RCS 5.6 which let
one build against a "search path" of rcs branches, using branches that
are further down the path as "backstops", which would contain the stable files
that you're not changing while working on some particular feature. you
could set up, for instance: RCS_BRANCHES="my_stuff .his_build .vsta_133"
to force rcs to first find files on the branch "my_stuff", then from
"his_build", and finally from the release. the '.' characters mark the
2nd and 3rd branches as "read-only", so you don't inadvertently check
something in on them.

i know CVS accomplishes much of this as well, but it's a much bigger system
than this. i only mention these patches because the number of people
developing vsta is fairly small, and the amount of code is fairly small,
and at my last company we found this system of branches, along with
the standard rcsmerge tools to be pretty workable for a small group of
developers....

paul

    paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma)
    "And where were you at 00:00:00 GMT, January 1, 1970?"