Re: vsta mount tutorial

From: <brtmac_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Dec 15 1994 - 11:18:55 PST

Verily did Andrew Valencia say on November 28, 1994:

>[brtmac@ksu.ksu.edu writes:]
>
>>First, I was under the impression that it was possible to mount a
>>filesystem on top of a directory and still be able to see the existing
>>directory (stackable or translucent filesystems). I haven't been able
>>to figure out how to do this.
>
>Yes, although this code has been exercised little.

Hmm, it appears that what was throwing me off was that the ls command
is only showing files in the last mount. If I mount my home
filesystem over /tmp, ls only shows the directories and files in the
/home filesystem, but I can still access the files in /tmp with vi,
cat, etc. Anyone know why this is offhand?

I sort of gave up on the idea of mounting a vsta filesystem stored in
a file on a dos filesystem over the top of the dos root filesystem.
It was making things way too hard to figure out considering I didn't
quite understand what was going on in the first place.

I have a better grasp on how everything works now, so maybe I'll do
some more playing.

Brett McCoy, UNIX Systems Administrator
Computing and Network Services, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506
vox: (913) 532-4908 / fax: (913) 532-5914 / e-mail: brtmac@ksu.ksu.edu
PGP Key available on request