VSTa networking questions

From: <brtmac_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Dec 15 1994 - 11:11:30 PST

Okay, I finally got my hands on an ne2000 clone card. It works fine
with DOS packet drivers. The ne server recognizes it and it appears
to be working. I can mount the server on /net and do:

   cat /net/0

or

   cat /net/800

and it starts spitting things out, so I'm assuming that it's working
at least somewhat.

My question is, what to do from here? I've tried running 'net', the
ka9q stuff, but can't seem to figure out the magic set of commands to
get it to do anything. Can someone tell me how to configure it to talk
to the ne server?

Second, what is the status of the TCP/IP server? Is it in a working
state at all? I wouldn't mind doing some debugging if I can get some
source to play with. I don't quite feel like reinventing the wheel
though.

One final question, which doesn't really have to deal with networking
in particular. How does the kernel decide who can access io ports?
I was able to run the ne server while logged with with ids:

    3.101(101), 1.1(101)

I haven't quite got ids and capabilities totally figured out yet, though
I've got the basics figured out okay. However, it would seem to me that
only <root> should be able to access io ports.

Thanks.

Brett McCoy, UNIX Systems Administrator
Computing and Network Services, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506
vox: (913) 532-4908 / fax: (913) 532-5914 / e-mail: brtmac@ksu.ksu.edu
PGP Key available on request